Saturday, November 24, 2007

My Response to "Into the Wild"

My heart seems to race
to meet some unknown climax:
where Mountain and Wind,
Earth and its children,
River and Hillside all stand together
and form my Desire.
Wolfsong and Hawkcry are
everything -- without them,
I cannot survive.
Who will cradle my loss?
Where will my dreams be laid?
When All that is Pure,
all aesthetic beauty is forgotten,
when All is laid bare --
who will stand and remember?

You -- the One who will stand --
You have lit a Fire beneath me.
Growing, soon to birth, is that Desire
which I ignored for the conformist's
reasons; which I shall now ignore.
What is my blood running for?
It runs for the Wild; it runs
for that Unadulterated,
the Untouched, the Unknown,
and the forever Undiscovered.
Let it Be! Let it Remain!
May my heart never be content:
may you stand in my way and
prevent me from destroying my
Final, Last, Driving Desire.
Let all the Wild World be a Mystery:
so that I may always, always
discover It.

1 comment:

A-ron said...

Sweet. I think it's sad that the number of undiscovered places on this earth are dwindling, but they're still out there. If only we could somehow explore the vast reaches of outer space with more than just our minds.