Monday, October 4, 2010

The one time I don't have my camera

I lead my first group today and taught the SAMSPAW concept: there are seven natural resources on Earth; sun, air, minerals, soil, plants, animals, and water. The kids basically already knew this (but not all groups do).

We walked about in the mist and talked about how it feels to walk in a cloud.

Jeff, my supervisor, came along with me and made sure I didn't lose or mislead any children. He also helped me find my way around trails with which I am not yet familiar. On our way back to Camp I saw him step over a bright little flash of red, black, and yellow.

"A mountain king snake!"
Jeff turned and helped me keep the kids back as I caught the cutest, tiniest California mountain king snake I'd ever seen.

Thank you, Dad, for teaching me: "Red on yellow can kill a fellow. Red on black, you're okay, Jack!"

The kids got a treat in seeing such a rare (and adorable) specimen, and I got a treat by being able to see it, catch it, and talk to the kids about how awesome it is!

No comments: