Thursday, September 30, 2010

Stormy weather

It began raining at 4:22am. I woke to hear the raindrops hitting the upturned oak leaves, the dusty pine needles, and the metal table just outside my window. Tink tink tink tink.

This would be perfect if it weren't for that darn table...

So I stand up on my bed and look out my window to see if I could move the table in the morning.
CRACK! gggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

Lightning struck very, very near. Near enough where I could hear something buzzing and humming in response.

I love storms. I told my boss today that I was sorry for being so flighty; I am storm-deprived. Our All Day Adventures were scheduled for today and we decided to break up that "all day" into two parts. For the first part we hiked the kids out to Rock Canyon, where bedrock forms a series of pools. With the help of the rain, these summer-time-dried-up pools were slightly filled. We saw a cute little toad that was only as big at my thumb, the same thistle-down velvet ant, and a few hawks. The kids were a bit noisy, but they were pretty cool this week. One of them attached himself to my walking staff and would do anything to carry it. Pretty darned cute.

The storm came in waves, showering us in light rain, then a downpour while it was sunny, and the occasional thunder and lightning show. It was marvelous. I haven't been so giddy in a long while. I mean, hiking in the rain while it is sunny with thunder overhead: what more could I ask for, really?


No comments: