Sunday, September 26, 2010

Night Hikes

Camp Cuyamaca gives some kids the kind of gifts they have never received before: like a night hike during a full moon. Many of the kids who come to 6th grade camp have never been camping, let alone spent five whole days submerged in the beauty of nature.
I've been told that some kids have never seen a clear night sky--they have never seen the Milky Way. And so I take my stand as a part of Camp Cuyamaca and I try to combat this nature deficiency disorder that appears to be all too rampant in children now-a-days.
I finished my first week and I am now heading into my second; I am excited, better prepared, and anxious to help these awesome kids get to know nature.

Watch! Students are suddenly ecstatic to be surrounded by trees, by fresh air, and by wild animals; they find themselves in awe of that which they used to overlook.

There are six months of these miracles ahead of me; I love this job.


1 comment:

hahacole said...

That is wonderful Kat! I'm so glad you have this job. Enjoy this awesome opportunity you have. I shall see you when I get back!!!!!!


-Cole